Saturday, April 4, 2015

An Interview: Matthew Dunivan

Because I know behind every art piece and performance are individuals working diligently in a less-than-glamorous city, I have a lot of respect for artists who call New York City home.  In order to get some perspective on the subject, I sat down with my friend Matthew Dunivan.  Matthew recently graduated with an MFA from Columbia University and is currently a working actor in the city.
       
How long have you lived in New York? 
I moved here in 2011 for graduate school.  I have always wanted to live in New York, ever since I was young.  
What is the best and worst thing about being an artist in New York?
The worst thing is being under so much scrutiny.  The opportunity to make mistakes and fail is kind of the end of you, whereas maybe in the 1970’s you could just move onto the next project.  The room for error is very small today because it costs so much money to put up even a small play.  In order to sell tickets and make financial gain, it has become normal to hire movie stars.  A lot of these people have never done stage work, but they have a name.  It’s frustrating for people who train.  The thing is, I've seen some of the best work in the crappiest of theaters.  When New York becomes more clean, safe and gentrified, there’s no risk anymore.  It’s great in a way, but there’s a cost, which is safety for actors.  The best thing is being around other artists who are of like mind.  I love being surrounded by people who care a lot about their craft and in a city that fosters that kind of creativity.
 What was the last off Broadway play you saw that you really loved?
“King Lear” at Theatre for a New Audience in Brooklyn.  It was in a beautiful space.  It was fantastic.
Top three places in the city to be inspired?
I live in Washington Heights and there’s a beautiful park along Riverside Drive that I go to when I’m learning lines. 
St. Ann's Warehouse and Theatre for a New Audience are really fantastic.  St. Ann’s produces very interesting, less traditional stuff.  Theater for a New Audience produces more Shakespeare and classical plays. 
The Chipped Cup on Broadway between 148th and 149th Street.  I’m not much of a coffee drinker, but I love their tea. 
Advice for people wanting to work in the arts in New York?
Jump in head first.  Have no shame.  Be willing to learn.  Be humble.  Be teachable.  Be confident in what you do know and what you don’t know.  If I lived in San Francisco (where I'm from), I wouldn't be as surrounded by other artists.  New York has helped me do what I love. 

You can visit Matthew's site here.  
Next week I’ll review “Gilgamesh: A Musical Epic,” a musical recently presented by Columbia Stages (and in which Matthew played the lead!)    

No comments:

Post a Comment