Tuesday, April 28, 2015

A List: Parks In New York

While greenery may not be what most people picture when they think of New York, this city offers plenty of beautiful parks and gardens.  Here are a few of my favorite places to go when I need a break from taxis and concrete.

1.  Sheep Meadow in Central Park.  This is kind of an obvious one, but for good reason.  Sheep Meadow is a huge lawn inside the Park that is perfect for a sunny day.  I love getting lunch from Whole Foods at 10 Columbus Circle and walking over.



2.  Brooklyn Bridge Park.  A highlight of my three years in New York has been calling Brooklyn Heights home, mainly because this park is so close to my apartment.  The park offers a beautiful view of Manhattan, basketball courts and soccer fields, and (like I mentioned in this post) Smorgasburg is held here every Sunday.



3.  The Cloisters/Fort Tyron.  A branch of The Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Cloisters museum and gardens is located in Fort Tyron Park.  The building and its gardens are beautiful in and of themselves and, if you like art and architecture of medieval Europe, the hike is certainly worth it. 








These parks and plenty of others (like here and here and here) offer a space to breathe inside the concrete jungle.

In the spirit of greenery, next week I’ll publish a review on Brooklyn Botanic Garden.  

No comments:

Post a Comment