Friday, April 3, 2015

Museum Series: The Guggenheim

For the first two years I lived in New York, my go-to museum was always The Metropolitan Museum of Art.  If I had a Saturday afternoon off, many times you would find me getting lost somewhere inside those walls.  I attribute my love for the Met to that fact that it’s enormous, boasts world-renowned exhibits and offers pay-what-you-wish during all open hours (which is great for a student budget).  Although I am certainly a creature of habit, this year I decided to branch out and explore new museums in the city rather than always revisit the same one.

Because baby steps are always good, the first museum I ventured to was a five minute walk from the Met: The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum.  The number one thing I love about The Guggenheim is the building itself.  The building is shaped like a spiral, which makes the museum easy to navigate and viewing the art more fun.  The museum hosts around 7,000 artworks dating from the late 19th century to the present and, compared to the Met, it’s not a super overwhelming experience.  I also love that the museum is not divided into specific eras.  Finally, The Reservoir in Central Park is located right across the street.  So, if your friends don’t like art, you can tell them to take a hike. (Tell me I'm funny!)

The Guggenheim Museum is located at 1071 5th Ave in New York.  You can find directions, hours, cost of admission and more information here.  The museum offers Pay What You Wish on Saturdays 5:45-7:45 pm.  




No comments:

Post a Comment