Sunday, April 12, 2015

Eats: Smorgasburg

Food is culture, right?  Great.  Now that we have established that, let me tell you about one of my favorite weekend things: Smorgasburg.

Smorgasburg is an outdoor food market open every weekend from April through November.  On Saturdays the market is held in Williamsburg, and on Sunday it’s held in Brooklyn Bridge Park. Smorgasburg is an excellent way to try new foods and enjoy the sunshine!  I recently spent a weekend at both locations, and thought it would be helpful to write a review on a few foods I tried.

The first vendor I went to sold grilled corn with cheese and spices for $4.  It was so good!  I believe the name was Vaqueros, but I can’t seem to find the vendor on the Smorgasburg website. 

The second vendor I went to was one of the more popular vendors (I had to wait in line for about 40 minutes) called Ramen Burger.  Instead of normal hamburger buns, Ramen Burger serves buns made out of cooked, unflavored ramen noodles.  I thought it was just okay.  Other than some sort of barbeque sauce and a couple of greens, there was little flavor, the texture wasn’t great and, for $9, I know I can find a better, more classic hamburger elsewhere (maybe I just don’t like messing with a good thing).

The last vendor I went to was Piece of Velvet, and I got a piece of red velvet cake for around $5.  As far as desserts go I’m pretty much an expert (trust me on this), and everything about this cake was amazing.

The next day I bought Injera with a side of Yatakilt Alicha for $4 at an Ethiopian vendor called Bunna Cafe.  This was probably the best, healthiest and most flavorful dish I’ve tried so far.    

Finally, I got bubble tea at Thirstea Cafe which was good (it's probably difficult to mess up bubble tea though...) 

Smorgasburg is cash only and open every weekend 11 am-6 pm rain or shine.  You can find more information on Smorgasburg and their many different vendors here.


6 comments:

  1. Stop it Maxine, you're making me hungry! Thanks for linking to the vendors so readers can check out the menus before visiting.

    Sounds like we both love NYC, please check out my blog to explore some of the musical landmarks of the city:
    www.n-y-see.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my lord, I want to eat at Smorgasburg. That rhymed, kinda. If you like rhymes, check out my blog. It doesn't rhyme but it has other cool cultural spots and people I think you'd find interesting. https://whatisyoursphere.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum yum yum! I've wanted to go to Smorgasburg for so long now! I think you just convinced me to make the trip! I'm writing a dessert blog and I'd love it if you could check it out!

    http://flowerandflour.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this place. Definitely an NYC staple. For other NYC staples...check out my blog: http://nycntg.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ... I don't have a personal blog to share with you, but I love that you featured interesting, exotic foods (especially bubble tea). Smorgasbord + stunning Brooklyn Bridge Park views = a real treat!

    ReplyDelete